Why Feeling Discontent is AWESOME News (and What You Can Do About It)!

‎”It’s often from a sense of discontent, feelings of incompleteness,
or even a twinge of true unhappiness that the seeds of great
accomplishment are sown.” The Universe

This quote arrived in my inbox early this morning and was so fitting. Just last night I was reading through my old blogs… the ones from the days when I posted anonymously, depressingly and with high levels of stress, discontent and with zero sense of direction for my life. Just reading the words that poured out of my heart takes me back to a painful place. But it also makes me smile…

It makes me smile because now, if someone I know talks about being unhappy or feeling lost… I feel a little bit excited. Though I KNOW it does NOT feel that way at the time, feelings of discontent and unfulfillment are simply the starting points for amazing changes in your life.

No, they won’t always be easy, nor will they happen for you overnight… but I can attest to the fact the what’s coming to you is far more spectacular than you could ever possibly imagine for yourself.

Why feeling discontent is a really great sign…

If you’re feeling discontent with something (or someone) in your life… CONGRATS! You’re connected, on some level, with your truth and your deepest desires. While you may not be able to elaborate what they are, you’re connected enough to KNOW that you’re off course. That something isn’t right and that something MUST. CHANGE.

Yes, change is scary and can be painful, but if you want to feel happy, alive and fulfilled, it’s absolutely necessary. The more open you are to seeking out a better path, removing unncessary weight and stress from your life and following your heart, the less painful the process will be.

In fact, it can be a delightful, eye-opening and truly expansive experience that you’ll never forget.

What to do when you feel discontent…

Write, or talk… then write or talk some more.

Yes, I advocate journaling for practically every situation! Handwritten journaling provides a direct link to your deepest thoughts, desires and truths. If you’re feeling unhappy, dissatisfied or upset, sit yourself down with pen and paper and get to it.

No thinking allowed. Simply write whatever comes to mind, no matter how petty, random or silly it seems. The more you allow yourself to freely write what comes to mind, the more clarity you’re going to receive on your situation. I promise that if you make writing a daily practice, and something you do every time you feel out of sorts, you’re going to know EXACTLY what it is that’s bothering you and exactly what you need in order to feel better about the situation.

And if you’re going to fight me on this one… TALK.

Talk to the people you trust and the ones that will really hear you out and let you vent. The more you talk about the situation, the more clarity you’re going to receive. But be careful not to let other’s opinions and agenda’s inerfere with your own discovery process!

Be kind to yourself.

Take a bath or a walk, watch your favorite movie in your favorite PJs with your favorite take out… read a good book. Go for a run. Buy yourself something nice. Be KIND to yourself during this process.

You’re not crazy, you’re not ungrateful, you’re not alone and you WILL get through this.

Practice kindness towards yourself with your thoughts, actions and attitude. And do NOT beat yourself up! Clarity and change takes time. Commit to being your own partner and number one supporter or you’re never going to get through this.

Take little steps forward in a better direction.

It might take time for you to really move into a place of happiness, depending on the level of discontent you’re feeling and depending on your personal situation. All minor and major life changes start with one simple step in the right direction.

If you’re not thrilled about your body, try out a new, healthy recipe or go for a short walk. If you’re unhappy in your relationship, have a conversation about what you need. If you can’t stand your job, take a peek at what else is out there or brainstorm ways to make your job more enjoyable.

Change doesn’t happen overnight, but you can create momentum in the right direction AND help yourself feel better by taking one small step at a time.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, trust yourself.

You feel discontent for a reason and this is not something to ignore. Trust yourself no matter what anyone else says or anything your inner critic can think up to deter you from following your heart.

Please take a moment to leave a comment below and share your single biggest insight!

This entry was posted in Happy Living

17 Responses to Why Feeling Discontent is AWESOME News (and What You Can Do About It)!

1. nkellerm says:

Wow Steph, this was moving to read. Thank you!

2. Stephenie Zamora says:

Thanks Nichole! Always appreciate your support. :) xo

3. JeanMorganCompton says:

Loved this, Steph! Yes, change is scary and painful but is absolutely necessary! I soooo agree, Sistah! XO Jean

4. FitnessSurfer says:

I love your new look to your site. Discontent. The story of my life. I know i’m suppose to be here in the middle of nowhere in this cold climate. I know it’s the best thing for my family and me. The Distance from family drama is healthy, the job is family friendly and pays great, and the kids can even play in the street in this town of 840. The discontent i’ve been feeling is pregnancy mixed with, long winter, mixed with a healthy need to re-evaluate and start being active in areas where i have a real passion. I’ve been doing art, being creative with landscaping, and designing a functional makeshift unfinished basement with no budget. It’s been good, and uplifting. I should finish the art in the next few days and i will be sharing. Sorry i’ve been so off the grid. It will be hit and miss till this baby girl comes. That will slow me down long enough to get online more.

5. Karie Hill says:

This is such great advice. Getting everything out on paper allows you to stop that cycle of self talk. We have the same conversations over and over and don’t want to forget our point. If you get it out on paper, you don’t have to ‘remember’ it anymore. If you need to refer back to it, it’s there for you. You can then move on with your day without torturing yourself and constantly obsessing about whatever issue you have going on in your head.

You should write a book someday. You have some good stuff!

6. Stephenie Zamora says:

Thanks Jean! xo

7. Stephenie Zamora says:

Hi Lovey! Thanks for the comment and so funny that you came out of hiding just as I wrote a post after looking at all my old blogs. I think you’re the one person that’s followed me all the way through. :) I’m glad to hear you’ve been doing art! Can’t wait to see what you have to share! xo

8. Stephenie Zamora says:

Thanks Karie! I’m totally planning to write a book in the VERY near future. :) xo

9. empowerulc says:

Great open complete with Marie’s re-framing technique (Now that’s a person running some excellent programs in her noggin) and great close, also … It’s the gut instinct that nature puts IN (and society tries very diligently to condition OUT) that turns out to be our most effective “compass” in life.

10. lui says:

This page is insightul, inspirational, gave me hope & a great sence of directio. Because when you’re going thru this process.. (no comment) but thank you so much for being so soothing to my heart!

11. scooby says:

This has given me some clarity. I have felt restless and discontented for some time, but kept surpressing it. Now I have finally decided rather than be scared and risk adverse, I am going to challenge life head on.
    I have decided to sell up everything I have, leave my great secure job that I love, and travel the world perpetually. Its a scary thought, and I am not 100% sure what to do if the money runs out – I guess do any work I can, but think of the life experience.

• Stephenie Zamora says:

I’m so glad this post was helpful for you. :) What an exciting adventure! The life experiences will be worth it, I have no doubts. Best of luck to you!!!

12. Pete says:

Thankyou for a lovely read, supportive and exactly what was needed to get through another day of life. Mysterious and wondrous how the universe works. Strangely this makes sense even to one who lacks direction in the moment of mist. Thankyou again for sharing. 11:11

13. Sean says:

Thank you so much. When I first googled “feeling discontent “I was afraid that I was going to find a bunch of Bible lessons that would tell me that I aughtta not feel that way because it is wrong to. This was wonderful and refreshing to read

14. Steve says:

This is exactly what I needed to hear, and won’t be the only time I read it. Thank you Stephanie.

15. Vimal says:

Really good article..please write more on this..